Born in 1962 in Nieuwpoort, Belgium.
Married to Julie Brown.
Father of four children: Jasper, Evelien, Thijs and Robin.
Completed his studies as an interpreter/ translator in Ghent, Belgium, 1984.
1984-1986 : Two Round The World trips West to East and East to West
1987 : Belgian windsurfing champion in the wave-riding discipline
1990 : Climbing expedition Cho Oyu, Tibet
1991 : World record holder (Guinness record) altitude mountain biking, Teide, Tenerife
1992 : Winter ascent Mont Blanc, France
1992 : Mount Fuji winter ascent, Japan
1993 : Ironman (full triathlon) finisher, Australia and Belgium
1994 : Organiser and participant "Karakoram Bike Adventure", 1200km through Pakistan and China
1995 : Polar trek Langjökul Glacier, Iceland
1995 : Trans-Greenland Expedition with Alain Hubert, 700 km on skis with powerkites
1996 : Alpamayo trek and ascent Mount Pisco, Peru
1996 : Mount Everest climb (camp two) and ascent of Island Peak
1997 : Polar trek Spitsbergen, Svalbard
1997-98 : "South Through The Pole": Crossing of the Antarctic continent with Alain Hubert, World première: 4000 km skis and with revolutionary powerkites, including scientific research, 1997-98.
2000: "Antarctica 2000" : Ascent of Mount Vinson with Julie Brown and polar trek Ellsworth Mountain Range with Belgian Rudy Van Snick, 2000.
2002 : "The Ultimate Arctic Crossing". Attempted traverse of the Arctic Ocean from Siberia to Canada. With Alain Hubert. 69 days in autonomy
2003 : Sierre-Zinal Mountain Running Race, Switzerland
2005 : Bering Strait Odyssey: attempt to cross the Bering Strait from Alaska to Siberia and back. With Troy Henkels. March - April 2005.
100 km running race Bornem Belgium: 3rd place finisher, August 2006
- Zwevend over de IJskap, Trans-Greensland Expedition 1995, Ganda Publications (Dutch)
- Nothing is Real, account of the mishaps during the Everest Expedition 1996, self-published (Dutch)
- In the Teeth of the Wind, South Through The Pole Expedition 1998, Publisher Van Halewyck (Dutch, French, English)
- Shades of White, Antarctica 2000 Expedition, Publisher Van Halewyck (Dutch, French, English)
- Chaos op Het Ijs, attempt to cross the Arctic Ocean from Siberia to Canada 2002, Publisher Van Halewyck (Dutch and French)
- Een Passie Moet Je Volgen, motivational book, co-author Julie Brown 2002, Publisher Van Halewyck (Dutch)
- Milestones, artistic interactive workbook, together with Julie Brown and photographer Herman Vanaerschot, December 2003 (English and Dutch)
- First prize at the Mountain Film Festival, Trento Italy, for In the Teeth of the Wind 1998
- First prize "La Toison d'Or du film d'aventure", Dijon France, for antarctica.org 1999
- Klauwaert prize, recognition for representing the Flemish community in exceptional manner 2003
- Honorary citizen of Lubbeek, Belgium
- Honorary citizen of Nieuwpoort, Belgium
- Honorary citizen of Huldenberg, Belgium
- Awarded by His Majesty King Albert II the title of High Officer in the Order of the Crown
- Patron of the Humboldt-penguins in the Sea Life Centre in Blankenberge, Belgium (2003)
- Patron of the first Mt. Blanc expedition led by one-legged climber Kristien Smet (2003)